Top Free Things To Do On Weekend In London | London Weekend Breaks
|April 15, 2014||Filled under Latest Posts||
London Weekend Breaks
London weekend breaks can be enjoyed free of cost and the list of top free things to do on weekend in London is virtually endless. London boasts of a rich history and one of the top free things to do on weekend in London is to discover the fascinating tales that lurk behind every corner. The following London weekend breaks appeal to most of the travelers in the city.
- Somerset House: Somerset House is a huge Georgian building and a famous courtyard of the city. What’s more, at Somerset House you can enjoy some of the top free things to do on weekend in London. Do check out its two elegant staircases that lead to the balcony offering spectacular views of the Thames. The dancing courtyard fountains function during the summer and an ice rink occupies center space in winter. For travelers who love art and cinema, their London weekend breaks cannot be complete without visiting this place. This South Bank complex owned by the British Film Institute has a number of cinema screens, two bars and a stocked film store. There is also a small space earmarked for exhibitions. The greatest treasure, however, is undoubtedly the Mediatheque. This is a suite of booths fitted with wide screens and provides access several films, documentaries and archived television shows. You can either book before you go or simply turn up to contemplate movies from all over the world.
- Royal Festival Hall: Easily one of the top free things to do on weekend in London, this hall was constructed for the Festival of Britain in 1951. It is one of the prominent places to visit on London weekend breaks and plays an important role in the cultural scene of the city. You can catch a free concert, workshop or exhibition in the stage area of the ground floor. Do not forget to get on the singing glass elevator to fifth floor, which has a balcony that offers an impressive view of the Thames River.
- Wallace Collection: Listed as one of the top free things to do on weekend in London is witnessing the Wallace Collection at Herford House, north of Oxford Street. The gallery collections are known in the art world for their fine paintings, armor and weapon displays and also for the elegantly furnished rooms. Paintings by Titian, Van Dyck and Rembrandt are displayed here. Frans Hals’s famous Laughing Cavalier occupies prime place here. The restaurant located in the atrium is noted for its exquisite dining space.
- Skateboard Park: The place to go to for active London weekend breaks is Skateboard Park. Located under the Queen Elizabeth hall, it has an adequate number of raised surfaces and ramps to keep skateboarders as well as BMX riders happy. Graffiti artists have also made it their artistic home.
London is also a major shopping destination and home to a number of celebrated British brands. It also offers excellent dining options.
If you find this page helpful, share it.
- Top Reliable International Airlines | Airline Reviews And Ratings
- Jeju Island | Attractions & Places To Visit
- Things to do in Zurich | Zurich Popular Sights And Attractions
- Dubai Travel Health & Safety | Tips For Safe Travel
- Types Of Hotel Rooms | What To Expect During Check-In