Melbourne Tourist Attractions | Places To Visit
|October 6, 2013||Filled under Latest Posts||
What’s on Melbourne
Some of the major Melbourne tourist attractions are famous because of the unique architecture and culture of this place. People in this city know how to enjoy life, and visiting this place fills tourists with the same spirit. You can enjoy plays, rock concerts, and premier sporting events. Melbourne is considered the cultural capital of Australia. The city has historic architecture and numerous gardens and parks. The list of Melbourne top places to visit includes its laneways and arcades bordered with smart cafes, high class restaurants, and fashion boutiques.
Melbourne Tourist Attractions: Southbank Precinct
When you make a list of Melbourne top places to visit, make sure you keep enough of time to immerse yourself in the city’s cultural scene. The Southbank precinct is the heart of the city’s cultural landscape. The area contains the Victorian Arts Center, the National Gallery of Victoria’s International Collection, and the Recital Center
- Victorian Arts Center: It is also known as the Arts Center Melbourne. It is designed to be a venue for performing arts and has a network of concert halls as well as theaters. One of the key Melbourne tourist attractions, it is located in the Melbourne Arts Precinct.
- National Gallery of Victoria’s International Collection: The gallery opened its doors in 1861 and is the oldest public art gallery in Australia. What makes it one of the Melbourne top places to visit is the gallery’s European art collection. Works of Picasso, Rubens, and Rembrandt are displayed here. Artifacts, ceramics, lithographs, fashion, and furniture are also found in abundance. The building itself is known for its ceiling of stained glass. Glass walls filled with flowing water is found in the foyer.
- Recital Center: For the musically inclined, the Melbourne Recital Center is one of the Melbourne top places to visit for its perfect acoustics and innovation in architecture. The recital center has two performance spaces. One of the many premier Melbourne tourist attractions, it is the venue of choice for the best artists around the world when they visit Australia.
Melbourne Tourist Attractions: The City Center
Most of the Melbourne top places to visit are concentrated in the City Center. It has a large number of boutiques, department stores, cafes, and art galleries. The place is characterized by buildings constructed in the Victorian architectural style. You do not need a vehicle to take you around as you can cover the area on foot.
- Flinders Street Railway Station: It is a railway station built during the colonial times. A number of clocks hang over the main entrance. You can locate the station at the intersection of Swanston Street and Flinders Street. One of Melbourne top places to visit, it is also the local favorite meeting spot.
- Eureka Tower: It is listed under the modern Melbourne tourist attractions category. Eureka is the tallest building in southern hemisphere for residential use. Climb to the roof to get a bird’s eye view of Melbourne city.
- Docklands: It is a new Melbourne precinct lined with restaurants, bars, and shops. There is also a huge sports stadium just by the water. Guided tours of the city and beyond leave from the docklands.
- Queen Victoria Market: You can buy fresh produce from here. The market is very large and colorful. Souvenirs can be bought in Queen Victoria Market. A visit to the market is highly recommended.
- State Library: If you love books, then there is no better destination than the State Library. The architecture of the building is stunning. Visitors can enjoy the free availability of internet.
- Old Melbourne Gaol: This jail has held many famous prisoners. It was built in the beginning of the 20th century. There is a self guided tour.
- The Yarra:This Melbourne river has a distinctive brown colored water flow. It flows through the center of the city. You can go on boat trips or walk along its banks.
If you find this page helpful, share it.
- Orlando theme parks and attractions | Visit Orlando City
- Myrtle Beach activities and attractions | Discover Myrtle Beach
- Cheap tourist shops in Hong Kong | Bargain markets
- One night in Paris
- The best of Macao nightlife, bars & club
Lots to buy
Been to Queen Victoria Market, a lot of beautiful stuff to buy